Re: Generation of distributed nagios configuration w/cfengine

From: Luke A. Kanies
Subject: Re: Generation of distributed nagios configuration w/cfengine
Date: Mon, 2 Aug 2004 12:21:01 -0500 (CDT)

On Mon, 2 Aug 2004, Christian Pearce wrote:

On Mon, 2004-08-02 at 11:54, Luke A. Kanies wrote:

Yeah well.  It got done faster this way.  It's not actually that much
code, so it could be redone in perl.  Or pieces of it could be redone.
But heck, you're already using cfengine to do package installations, so
what's another package?  :)

No am very interested in ruby.  I bet you will find a lot of people
would complain.  So I thought I would be the first.

Yes, there have been many, but as I explained to someone else: If you've got automation truly working, it should be trivial to add ruby to your systems.

6. Can we setup a mailing list? I don't think it would be appropriate to
hash out problems about naginator?

We certainly can, but I'll be relatively surprised (based on experience)
if many people join.  I'll see if I can get a mail server set up today;
otherwise, it won't be until next week.

I think if we can formalize what is discussed in point 7, we might be
able to gain more traction.  Don't go through any effort at this point.
I say we focus on 7.

It would be especially nice if there were some way to have discussions on any of the submitted modules without having a separate list for each module -- some kind of mini-list. I'm still working on a site to allow something like that, but I'm not very close to being done.

7. This opens up an opportunity to start discussing the idea of a
Cfengine Module Repository. What we need is a set of guidelines for
writing modules.  This would help with plugging in any module and
getting it to work in any Cfengine environment.  Provided the Cfengine
implementor implemented the guidelines correctly.  I am not certain if
this is possible.  But think of the merit?  We can start sharing the
wealth of Cfengine knowledge beyond just talking about it.  This would
provide great leverage.  This is the first project I have seen that
would tap into the possibility

Yes, this would be great, and has been discussed tons of times.  No one
has yet come up with a sufficiently maintainable solution.  I would be
glad to help, especially since I've now built quite a few useful modules.
Maybe we could just start by creating a web page linking to other people's
modules, maybe with tarballs locally or something?  I could throw that up
pretty quickly.

Yea, I suggested it more than once.  I didn't see much chatter about
it.  I guess I should read the archives.  Log into #cfengine on freenode
we should talk.  I want to wrap my head around your code a ittle more.
I haven't done anything with modules yet.

I'll do so after lunch, as 'lkanies'.

I have a guy that works for us who uses nagios.  I am going to have him
take a look at it.

Great.

--
"If I want your opinion, I'll read your entrails." --Doug Shewfelt
Luke Kanies | http://abstractive.org | http://reductiveconsulting.com