Re: Solaris /etc/shadow editing problems with cfengine 2.1.11

From: Anne Cross
Subject: Re: Solaris /etc/shadow editing problems with cfengine 2.1.11
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 14:58:44 -0500

On Thu, Dec 02, 2004 at 12:59:04PM -0600, David E. Nelson wrote:

> I just tried your snippet below (cut-n-pasted) in our config using 2.1.11
> on a sun4u, solaris 9 system and it worked fine - I didn't, however, use
> 'sun4u' but used a hostname so that it'd only affect one host.

Oh well, it was worth hoping somebody else had the same problem and that
it's not my config...

> Have you looked at debug (-d1) output?

I hadn't - I had forgotten about that option, since it's been so long
since I had to use it.  I had also forgotten how verbose it was. :}

Since it was -that- verbose, I ended up making a smaller stub file with
just what I'd posted to the list...and it worked with just one edit of
/etc/passwd and /etc/shadow, as opposed to just the edit of /etc/shadow
and nothing else, which I had tested before.

Now I feel really dumb, of course.

However, the d1 output is giving me the following:

WrapDoEditFile(/etc/shadow,/etc/shadow)
FileObjectFilter(/etc/shadow)
DoEditFile(/etc/shadow)
IgnoredOrExcluded(/etc/shadow)
-)
   <...lots and LOTS of '-)'>
-)
GetLock(editfile,_etc_shadow,time=1102016830), ExpireAfter=60,
IfElapsed=1
GetLastLock()

And then it stops trying to touch /etc/shadow and goes straight into
/etc/group edits, as opposed to the stub file, which did:

WrapDoEditFile(/etc/shadow,/etc/shadow)
FileObjectFilter(/etc/shadow)
DoEditFile(/etc/shadow)
IgnoredOrExcluded(/etc/shadow)
GetLock(editfile,_etc_shadow,time=1102016204), ExpireAfter=60,
IfElapsed=1
GetLastLock()
PutLock(last.__test_conf..._1990)
Found no lock [last.__test_conf..._1990]: DB_NOTFOUND: No matching
key/data pair found
CheckOldLock(lock.__test_conf..._1990)
Unable to find lock data lock.__test_conf..._1990
SetLock(lock.__test_conf..._1990)
PutLock(lock.__test_conf..._1990)

And then went on to do the edits.

So there's something in my config that is screwing up 2.1.11 file
locking?  Regardless, whatever it is wasn't in 2.1.10, and I guess it's
someplace in the editfiles section.

How joyous.  I guess I get to go figure out what the heck is screwed up
in there.

Thanks for your help - at least now I know it -is- just me.

        -- Anne

Anne Cross
Systems Administrator, Tufts University
"They just tend to lunge at whatever looks interesting to them, write
 whatever they please, and let the chips fall where they may. So we
 may seem not merely arrogant, but completely unhinged." -- Neal Stephenson