Re: Solaris /etc/shadow editing problems with cfengine 2.1.11

From: Anne Cross
Subject: Re: Solaris /etc/shadow editing problems with cfengine 2.1.11
Date: Mon, 6 Dec 2004 15:02:04 -0500

I am now, perhaps, even more confused.

Upon commenting the following bits out of the editfiles: section, the
shadow edits work again.

      { /etc/vfstab
        AppendIfNoSuchLine "# /usr/local lofs (man lofs)"
        AppendIfNoSuchLine "/local/usr/local    -       /usr/local      lofs
-       yes     -"
        AppendIfNoSuchLine "# /home lofs (man lofs)"
        AppendIfNoSuchLine "/local/home -       /home   lofs    -       yes
-"
      }

Anyone have any bright ideas as to why this and the /etc/shadow edits
would interact strangely?  I can certainly shift this off to its own
file more easily than I can shift the shadow stuff, but I'm still
confused as to why it's doing this, and I'd like to make sure I don't
end up with a similar problem in the future. :}

        -- Anne

Anne Cross
Systems Administrator, Tufts University
"They just tend to lunge at whatever looks interesting to them, write
 whatever they please, and let the chips fall where they may. So we
 may seem not merely arrogant, but completely unhinged." -- Neal Stephenson