Re: Orphan files

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Orphan files
Date: Mon, 13 Dec 2004 09:36:27 +1100 (EST)

On Sun, 11 Dec 2004 wbmccarty@gmail.com wrote:

Hi all,

I'm hardening a Linux configuration by deleting unnecessary users and
groups. Deleting a user or group orphans any files owned by the deleted
user or group. I'd like to change the ownership of any such files to
nobody.nobody. However, it's not clear to me how to accomplish this
using cfengine, other than by running a find command such as "find /
/boot -xdev -nogroup -exec /bin/chgrp nobody {} \;" before deleting the
users and groups. Can anyone suggest a way that's more in line with
cfengine's approach?

        Try combining filter (see link below) with the "files" section.

http://www.iu.hio.no/cfengine/docs/cfengine-Reference.html#filters

Incidentally, I recall being told by someone that the "nobody" user/group has special meaning to NFS, and shouldn't be used for this kind of thing (I think the suggested solution was another user with a different name, maybe "orphans" would be appropriate in your case).

        Here's something relevant I found:
root_squash - Requests from root clients are mapped to the nobody user and group ID so they will only have file privileges associated with other.

Maybe someone who actually uses NFS will have some more info, and be able to chip in :).

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator