Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Network

From: Tim Nelson
Subject: Re: Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Red Hat Network
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:15:39 +1100 (EST)

On Mon, 19 Dec 2004 wbmccarty@gmail.com wrote:

When deploying Red Hat Enterprise Linux hosts via cfengine, how do
folks handle the Red Hat Network host registration and entitlement
process, which seem to be designed for only interactive use? For
instance, can the up2date-uuid and systemid files in /etc/sysconfig/rhn
be generated in batch, uploaded to a repository, and subsequently
downloaded to provision a system?

I admit to not knowing the answers to this question, but I'm working with RHEL and up2date.

In our setup, the host comes with that stuff already set up (through our hosting provider). You could interact with Redhat about it (I think our hosting provider has some special proxying deal with Redhat; maybe you could work something out). You could also investigate NRH-up2date, but it wouldn't be a Redhat-supported config, so that probably won't do what you want, but the documentation might give you some ideas.

I've also developed Arpmats (http://arpmats.sourceforge.net/) to help cfengine and up2date (or, theoretically, any other Repository Manager) work together.

        Let me know what you find out about the information above.

        Thanks,

--
Tim Nelson
Server Administrator