Parrot, cfengine, and embedded languages

From: David Douthitt
Subject: Parrot, cfengine, and embedded languages
Date: Tue, 11 Jan 2005 09:38:03 -0600

On Mon, 2005-01-10 at 19:55, Tim Nelson wrote:
>       Incidentally, before I forget, is there any possibility that
> cfengine will ever be rewritten to run on Parrot?  For those who haven't
> been following Parrot, it's the common platform (think JVM or .Net) which
> is going to be the backend for Perl6, Perl5, and probably also the other
> scripting languages (Python, Ruby, and a bunch of others; Haskell and
> Prolog have been talked about).

I haven't seen any discussion about this with Ruby.  The others are new,
too - I thought this was a Perl6 thing.

> If we went this way, and did things
> right, we'd be able to embed any of these languages in cfengine, or embed
> cfengine into any of these languages, and we'd also have their *huge*
> libraries of pre-written functions on which to call.  We'd also have
> cross-platformness built in :).

We can have that now.  Lua is my favorite - Tom's Root Boot (a
floppy-based rescue linux) is based on it, and APT-RPM just started
using it recently.

Guile (based on Scheme) also comes to mind.

--
David Douthitt
UNIX System Administrator