Actionsequence as a top level section

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Actionsequence as a top level section
Date: Wed, 05 Jan 2005 12:54:55 -0600

I personally am hoping for an actionsequence: *section*, instead of a list variable. One that has *all* other sections in it, rather than just some but not others (e.g. import:, groups:, control:, alerts:, filters: don't go in there). It might be a little more typing but would greatly ease order-of-operations issues.

actionsequence:
   groups.init
   control
   groups.after_top_control
   directories
   links
   linux::
          control.do_linux
   sunos::
           control.do_sunos
   chicago_office::  #Determined in "groups"
            control.chicago
   any::
      import.first    #All imported files have their own actionsequence:
      filters
      tidy
      files
      import.second
      alerts

--

Something like the above would make about 75% of my migraine headaches go away :)

Christian Pearce wrote:

I believe is talked about once every three months.  I suppose the best
way to handle this is to create scope for the actionsequence.  Everytime
a new actionsequence is reached it gets push onto a stack of some sort. Once that particular cfengine script is done executing. Then the
original actionsequence takes over.

The other way would be to change it for the rest of the execution. Which I can't see being useful. If anything you might want to localize
the sequence for a particular script.

I know Mark went ahead and added the second pass of execution to
cfengine.  I believe my script takes advantage of this.

Add this to the cfwiki.org wishlist.  Maybe in the next year someone
will be interested in developing scope.  Then again I could be totally
wrong.  If my time frees up I would certainly entertain taking this on.

Then again I am interested in what Mark has to say about this. Considering it might upset some of the cfengine core principles. To me
this would be a much better way to handle this.  Considering how many
people want to do this.

actionsequence = ( shellcommands.firstpass shellcomands
shellcommands.lastpass )

Any they only want the class firstpass to be valid during the execution
of shellcommands.  Maybe this scoping would help.