Understanding output, modifying output, importing groups

From: Brian E. Seppanen
Subject: Understanding output, modifying output, importing groups
Date: Thu, 27 Jan 2005 16:44:21 -0500 (EST)

I'm trying to understand the output of cfengine a bit better.   I have
several hosts that run cfexecd on a 15 minute interval.

I'm running 2.1.10.   My cfagent consists of

import:

        any::
                /var/cfengine/inputs/cf.groups
                /var/cfengine/inputs/cf.main

My cf.groups is something

        service1 = ( hosta hostb hostc hostd )
        service2 = ( hoste hostf hostg )

my cf.main consists of

control:

        actionsequence  = ( copy shellcommands )
        TrustKey        = ( true )
        TrustKeysFrom   = ( master )
        domain          = ( domaina )
        Underscore_Classes = ( on )
        sysadm          = ( admin@domaina )
        access          = ( root )
        smtpserver      = ( smtp.domaina )
        EmailFrom       = ( cfengine@domaina )
        EmailMaxLines   = ( 10000 )
        EditfileSize    = ( 800000 )
        IfElapsed       = ( 2 )
        ExpireAfter     = ( 2 )
        SkipVerify      = ( true )
        OutputPrefix    = ( "main=>" )

copy:

        servicea::

                /var/cfengine/services/servicea/cf.servicea
                        dest=/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.servicea
                        server=master
                        trustkey=true
                        encrypt=true
                        force=true

        serviceb::

                /var/cfengine/services/serviceb/cf.serviceb
                        dest=/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.serviceb
                        server=master
                        trustkey=true
                        encrypt=true
                        force=true

shellcommands:

        servicea::

                "/var/cfengine/sbin/cfagent -i -f
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.servicea"

        serviceb::

                "/var/cfengine/sbin/cfagent -i -f
/var/cfengine/inputs/cf.serviceb

So my undertanding of the scenario is that cfexecd calls cfagent which
uses cfagent.conf,  cfagent.conf does nothing more than import some groups
into play.   Those groups are evaluated and if the host belongs to one of
those groups it pulls a specific service cf.

So I get the following output.   And I see the same action twice.   Once
listed under cfagent output denoted by main=> and once under os/linux.cf
denoted by linux+host->

cfengine::in/cfagent -i -: main=>:in/cfagent -i -:
linux+host->:newaliases: /etc/aliases: 154 aliases, longest 287 bytes,
8244 bytes total
main=>:in/cfagent -i -: linux+hostr->:newaliases:
/etc/aliases: 154 aliases, longest 287 bytes, 8244 bytes total

Is there any way that I can either have all output listed under cfagent
and not listed under subcategories, or vice versa?   Or would I need to
restructure so that I'm using a single cfagent.conf?

I like the method we have for maintaining seperate cf's under a seperate
hierarchy.    It could be that I'm just blind to an obvious solution.
Would anyone mind commenting?   How have others handled groups and
imports and the corresponding output.

Thanks for the help.

Brian Seppanen
seppy@chartermi.net