Cfexecd does no updates ... problem with locks?

From: Jon-Finngard Moe
Subject: Cfexecd does no updates ... problem with locks?
Date: Thu, 10 Mar 2005 10:39:26 +0100

I have done som changes to the central update.conf file. The intention was
to introduce a redundant policyhost if the main server was down.
(Yes, i know the star-configuration is not optimal. I will change this).

My problem is when i introduced the secondary server, the firewall
configuration was not updated so the hosts could reach that server.

This created a timeout when cfagent tried to connect to the secondary
server. My problem is that no host since that time has updated itself, not
even from the primary policyhost. But "cfexecd" is still running on every
host!

1) Is this a problem with locks preventing cfexecd to perform updates?
2) Will my new update.conf prevent this from happening in the future?
3) If not, any ideas how this did happen?

control:

   actionsequence  = ( copy.IfElapsed10.ExpireAfter30
                       processes
                       tidy )

   domain          = ( mss.mnemonic.no )  # Needed for remote copy
   sysadm          = ( finngard@mnemonic.no )
   mailserver      = ( somemailserver.mnemonic.no )
   EmailMaxLines   = ( 100 )

   #
   # Spamming and lock control
   #

   IfElapsed = ( 10 )
   ExpireAfter = ( 40 )

   #
   # Which host/dir is the master for configuration roll-outs?
   #

   policyhost      = ( somehost.mnemonic.no )
   policyhost_svg  = ( anotherhost.mnemonic.no )

   master_cfinput  = ( /var/cfengine/inputs )
   master_cfinput_svg = ( /var/lib/cfengine2/inputs )

   SplayTime = ( 15 )

copy:

     $(master_cfinput)            dest=$(workdir)/inputs
                                  r=inf
                                  mode=700
                                  type=binary
                                  exclude=*.lst
                                  exclude=*~
                                  exclude=#*
                                  exclude=Entries
                                  exclude=Repository
                                  exclude=Root
                                  exclude=CVS
                                  exclude=cfservd.conf
                                  server=$(policyhost)
                                  trustkey=true
                                  elsedefine=failover_svg

        failover_svg::
                $(master_cfinput_svg)   dest=$(workdir)/inputs
                                        r=inf
                                        mode=700
                                        type=binary
                                        exclude=*.lst
                                        exclude=*~
                                        exclude=#*
                                        exclude=Entries
                                        exclude=Repository
                                        exclude=Root
                                        exclude=CVS
                                        exclude=cfservd.conf
                                        server=$(policyhost_svg)

--

Jon-Finngard Moe                   Email: finngard@mnemonic.no
mnemonic AS, Wergelandsveien 25         Mob  : +47 98 64 58 62