Re: change control via CVS tags

From: Chip Seraphine
Subject: Re: change control via CVS tags
Date: Thu, 13 Oct 2005 14:11:31 -0500

We have a similar situation in our shop; the bulk of the policy is set in a main office, but satellite shops have the ability to add to it.

Here's how I have it set up:

The master server contains authoritative copies of most of the files, and the local cfengine ("slave") servers pull copies directly from the master for redistiribution to their clients. One file that is *not* copied is cf.site. The cf.site file is required to be valid and exist, but that's it-- local admins can put whatever they want in there and do not need to fear it being stepped on from On High. (At the master site, the cf.site file is used for local policy as well as holding things like encrypted passwords that the remote admins have no need to see.)

It is generally used to include a bunch of other local-to-the-site files that perform various functions.

Martin, Jason H wrote:

The problem is that root on the CFE master server could bypass all of
that.  I'm confident that there are very straightforward ways to stop
non-CFE-master-root users from wreaking havoc, but then there is the
'root' problem.

I'm thinking that a two-server system under different administrative
domains such that the servers have to agree on the rules and repository
before changes are applied sounds about right.

-Jason Martin