Updating configs on changes.....

From: Michael J. Pawlowsky
Subject: Updating configs on changes.....
Date: Sat, 03 Dec 2005 21:04:03 -0500

I just installed cfengine on 2 of 5 web servers in a cluster (will do
the others once I figure this all out).
So far I have cfservd running. I can create simple jobs (changing file
permissions) and all of that works.

My main goal is to be able to maintain identical versions of specific files.

Some simple like /etc/hosts /etc/passwd /etc/groups and so on.

Others would be like groups of files as in everything in /etc/httpd/conf.d

And for things like /etc/httpd/conf/httpd.conf if it is updated I would
like to restart the webserver as well (/etc/init.d/httpd restart).

>From what I read so far (mostly skimming throug the docs and web site, I
sent out the 3 main documents to be printed and bound) this seems like
it is all very much in the scope of things that CF can handle.

My question is...  can I have a file copied only when CF notices that
the file on the master server has been changed?
If so can someone lead me to a way to detect the change?

Or would you simply keep changing the cfagent.conf for the specific job
you want to perform and then do a cfrun?

Basycally for this kind of stuff I would kind of want CF to work like
rsync with the option to run some command if there are changed files.

Regards,
Mike