Re: How to express 'svn add' in cfengine

From: Marco van Beek
Subject: Re: How to express 'svn add' in cfengine
Date: Wed, 14 Dec 2005 09:26:01 +0000

This is not quite the same thing, but I use a MySQL database to store basic config data about each host, which is then written into a directory named as the host. I then copy the host specific directory into a generic directory on each host so that information from one host does not end up on another.

If you wanted to gather data from a host and put it into a database, you could use a small perl program and use any number of methods, including a HTTP POST to a PHP/Perl based web page that then wrote that data into the database if it did not exist. CFEngine could run that script if the initial config file did not get copied over to the client.

It means you have two (or more) programs to maintain, but it does have the advantage that different client types could still post information to the same database, and the data is in a database, so it is easy to check to see what status everything is in.

The really clever bit is deciding what data to gather/store and how to use it. Don't ask me, I am about to go and log in to a console to find out what I 'really' did to my shorewall configuration on my test server!

Regards,

Marco.

Andreas J. Koenig wrote:
On Tue, 13 Dec 2005 09:04:23 -0800, Atom Powers <atom.powers@gmail.com> said:

  > If I understand, you want to use cfengine to make sure your repository
  > contains some files from every host. But you also want to be able to
  > delete files from a repository, using cfengine?

  > You could build an svn.cf file with a shellcommands section for each
  > file or list of files; but that isn't very elegant or compact. And it
  > will probably produce numerous svn errors if the files have already
  > been added.

That's why I asked:)

  > I use SVN with cfengine, but cfengine only does a checkout from my
  > repository; I manage the repository by hand.

That's too easy, thanks.

  > Asking cfe to manage the repository for cfe just seems like a bad
  > idea.

It's not about "the repository for cfe", how come you think so?

In any case, it should not matter for who the repository is. I'd
specifically be interested in a compact/maintainable solution that
adds and deletes files from/to subversion based on simple lists.

If nobody has a suggestion, I'll write my own. This is a threat:)