Re: troubles with process handling

From: Brendan Strejcek
Subject: Re: troubles with process handling
Date: Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:41:53 -0600

Guillaume Rousse wrote:

> I'd like to manage process on clients to make sure some processes
> are running, and some others are not. I don't want to send processes
> signals directly, I prefer to use system service scripts, so as to
> take care of lock file, etc... I once used restart facility, allowing
> to launch a shell command, but only if a signal was not found, thus
> unable to deal with shutting down processes.

This worked for me:

    processes:
        "sshd" matches=<1 action=bymatch define=running_sshd

    alerts:
        running_sshd::
            "I am running sshd"

It seems to generate some output also, but maybe that is good enough for
you. If not, you can always use ReturnsZero with a /bin/sh -c '' and ps.

Best,
Brendan

--
Senior System Administrator