Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released

From: W. L. Estes
Subject: Re: flex beta 2.5.22 released
Date: Fri, 18 Oct 2002 10:14:41 -0400

On Friday, 18 October 2002,15:42 +0200, Akim Demaille wrote:

> Well, I perfectly understand your point, but mine was that anyway you
> don't need to do it this way:  AC_SUBST([builddir], [.]) is enough for
> all the Makefiles.
>
> OTOH, I'd like to emphasize that it is uncommon, and therefore, might
> surprise peers if some other people want to help the Flex effort.

I'd like to use the autoconf features as they are described in the
autoconf manual. Thanks for the AC_SUBST suggestion.

> I'd say that recovering the cover, the menus etc. is the first thing
> to do.  But, I recall my friends who worked on making the original
> Texinfo documentation, and I think one should start again from _that_
> documentation, backporting what had been done in the meanwhile.
> Because they have worked on the @commands to use, on the index etc.

At this point, it's not possible to backport the changes. The current
flex manual differs substantially from the past documentation and
those differences are widely scattered throughout the text and they
exist at all levels of the text. I'll be happy to continue to improve
the flex manual, though.

> There was a real edition work performed on this file.  It's a pity to
> have lost it all.

Had I known that over a year ago, it might have been possible to keep
that work, as it is, it's just the way things are now.

--Will