help-gengetopt

Re: [help-gengetopt] mutually exclusive group of options

From: Lorenzo Bettini
Subject: Re: [help-gengetopt] mutually exclusive group of options
Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 19:10:26 +0200

Papp Gyozo (VBuster) wrote:
>>>     scan --init=/path/to/lib/to/load.so --dir1=... --dir2=... ; no
>> error
>>>     scan --dir1=... --dir2=... ; error because no --init is given
>>>
>>> Unfortunately this latter one is the most common use-case with this
>> application. :-(
>>> I'm thinking about what default value I can define for --init to be
>> compatible with previous versions.
>>
>> from your original mail I seemd to understand that --dir options can
>> appear only if --init is given, isn't it so?  If not, then you can
>> simply make them independent from --init, can't you?
>
> Yes, I think they are actually independent because the program now works only
> in one mode (standalone mode w/ optional --init) which means it can accept
> --init argument only and has no --attach at all. That's why --dir can be
> given now independently from the fact whether --init was given or not. In
> other words --init is an optional parameter with a very common default value.
>
> 1.)  scan --init --dir1 --dir2 ... ; standalone mode
> 2.)  scan --attach                 ; shared mode (attach to daemon)
>
> Up to now the users have had to specify the initialization options in the
> standalone mode because the application was responsible to start and
> configure the daemon itself. (Most common ones have default values, so the
> users hadn't have to type too much ;)
>
> But if I introduced the new mode ("attach to daemon" w/ --attach option) I'd
> had to disable (inhibit) some of the options which simply would make no sense
> in this new mode. (ie. do not give initialize an already initialized daemon)
> This is my first original problem.

and in order to do this, using groups should be enough, shouldn't it?

> My next concern is that I'd like that the application be compatible with
> previous versions so users can simply use it in the following way (like
> before), eg:
>
>   scan --dir2  ...
>   scan --dir1 -dir2 ...
>
> The common in both examples is that --init is omitted.

and again, putting --dir1 and --dir2 in the same group of init should be
enough, shouldn't it?  This way, if you provide --dir1, --dir2 or even
--init, you cannot provide any --attach's group options...

did I get the point?

cheers
        Lorenzo

--
Lorenzo Bettini, PhD in Computer Science, DSI, Univ. di Firenze
ICQ# lbetto, 16080134     (GNU/Linux User # 158233)