Re: [Help-glpk] inf as RHS of constraint

From: Xypron
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] inf as RHS of constraint
Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2011 20:03:03 +0100

Hello Robbie,

we are talking about a patch to the code reading CPLEX LP files. These files are text files. IEEE_754 is only applicable to the binary representation.

My patch will translate a right hand side value of a constraint equaling either of the strings "inf" and "infinity" to the constant DBL_MAX. DBL_MAX is a high and valid number. The GLPK code treats this special number internally as infinity in some of the code.

Best regards

Xypron

Robbie Morrison wrote:
Hello Xypron, hello all

Is this "inf" as a key word or string -- or "inf" as a
genuine IEEE 754 floating point infinity?

   http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IEEE_754

The reason I ask is that I recently fed GLPK a NaN and
it simply printed a short message and died:

   http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/bug-glpk/2011-01/msg00001.html

In this regard, might it also be useful if GLPK
recognized and processed floating point 'inf's ?

Clearly, 'inf's carry more meaning than 'NaN's!

Robbie