Re: [Help-glpk] Linux GLPK library

From: Nigel Galloway
Subject: Re: [Help-glpk] Linux GLPK library
Date: Fri, 12 Apr 2013 06:04:44 -0700

No, I would expect glpk compiled on any reasonably recent linux to work
on another reasonably recent linux. In fact I suggested if a package was
not available using the libraries in the Slackware package. The
adavantage of the Slackware package is that it is simply a gzipped tar
file so can easily be extracted locally. RPMs can be extracted with
rpm2cpio. If you want to experiment you don't need access to another
linux, simply download one that has been copiled on another and try it
on the one you have.

Obviously reasonably recent can be interpretted. Current ones are likely
compiled using gcc4.x, where x is 5 to 7. The further back the toolchain
on the other system is the less likely it is to work. Definitely won't
work on 2.95.

It should not matter whether you link statically or dynamically. If you
have linked statically then any program which depends on a changed
library should be recompiled, but is no less likely to work.

Many binary packages are released which work on multiple flavours of
linux, e.g. the Java SDK.

Ideally and safest is for all code to be compiled using the same
toolchain on a given system, which I think is the solution adopted in
this thread. The question really was "I can compile GLPK, how do I
install it without root privileges?"

--
  Nigel Galloway
  address@hidden