Re: Keys in Emacs and Window Managers

From: sen_ml
Subject: Re: Keys in Emacs and Window Managers
Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 13:36:58 +0900 (JST)

My personal solution to this problem was:

  0) Using xmodmap, remove Caps_Lock from the Lock modifier map.  I
     don't use Caps_Lock anyway.

     % xmodmap -e "remove Lock = Caps_Lock"

  1) Also using xmodmap, add Caps_Lock to a free modifier -- in my
     case I chose Mod4.

     % xmodmap -e "add Mod4 = Caps_Lock"

  2) Configure my window manager to response to key sequences using
     the Mod4 modifier.

I don't think this is a great solution (though, IMO, it beats making
my own key sequence customizations in Emacs), and I think there should
be a better way to get window managers and Emacs to play together
better.  Unfortunately, I don't have any good ideas as to how this
might be done.  I hope some day, some one comes up w/ something better.