Re: Inconsistant Delete Key

From: CarlC
Subject: Re: Inconsistant Delete Key
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 12:46:59 GMT

"John McCabe" <john.nospam@nospamassen.nospamdemon.co.uk> wrote in message
3d7efc39.1522729@news.demon.co.uk">news:3d7efc39.1522729@news.demon.co.uk...
> On Tue, 10 Sep 2002 21:32:26 GMT, "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> wrote:
> In emacs-lips mode, with the setting I mentioned earlier, I find that
> the Backspace key on my keyboard returns:
>
> ==========
> DEL runs the command backward-delete-char-untabify
>    which is an interactive compiled Lisp function in `simple'.
> (backward-delete-char-untabify ARG &optional KILLP)
> ==========
>
> So what you are talking about appears to be the backspace key, in
> which case you're trying to map the backspace key (which is synonymous
> with \177) to delete-char.

My delete key sends \177. My backspace sends C-h.

> In that case you should be able to use:
>
> (global-set-key [backspace] 'delete-char)

This did not seem to have any affect

> What system are you using? If it's a windows system, does the key
> you're referring to the one above the Enter key or the key marked
> "Delete" in the "Home", "Insert", "End", "Delete", "Page Up", "Page
> Down" block?

I am using a terminal emulator that emulates SCO ansi on a win machine. It
telnets into a Red Hat box with TERM set to scoansi. I am using SCO ansi due
to its full function key support (although I would prefer to use a data
general emulation that emacs can't stand).