Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: Christopher Browne
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: 1 Oct 2002 00:40:35 GMT

Oops! "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com> was seen spray-painting on a
wall:
> I'm using xterm to launch emacs, but I'm confused by your question
> because I can't see how it's relevant. The slowdowns only occur when
> emacs isn't running in a terminal window.

There always was a "traditional 17 second pause" whilst Netscape
Navigator loaded when it ran an X request to do a (pointless and
spurious) list of every font available on the X server.

Perhaps there's something in the Emacs startup that is doing something
similar to this, requesting all fonts or some such thing, that would
lead to a big pause at start time.

I'm not sure that's the answer, but it is the sort of thing that would
be:
 a) Not totally obvious, and
 b) In keeping with the symptoms...
--
(concatenate 'string "aa454" "@freenet.carleton.ca")
The light at the end of the tunnel may be an oncoming dragon.