Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs

From: David Abrahams
Subject: Re: remote X11/GNU emacs/ssh: Incredible slowness loading libs
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 16:14:30 -0400

"Thomas F. Burdick" <tfb@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU> wrote in message
xcvk7l347l8.fsf@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU">news:xcvk7l347l8.fsf@famine.OCF.Berkeley.EDU...
> "David Abrahams" <david.abrahams@rcn.com> writes:
>
> You didn't say explicitly (I don't think), but you impleid that you're
> using Emacs 21.  21 is *much* *much* slower over a forwarded X11
> connection than 20.7 was.

Yes, I noticed that. I am using 21.x

> I'm not sure what's in all the network
> traffic, but it generates a lot.  If I'm working over an ssh/X11 link,
> I never use 21.

Somebody must know what it's doing with all those packets (and how to turn
them off)! Anyone? Bueller?

> The other problem you could be having is dropped packets.  ssh/X11
> connections in general seem to be really sensitive to dropped packets,
> and too many of them will cause the connection to just hang for a
> while.  Combined with Emacs 21's chattiness, this can be really
> unpleasant.
>
> Finally, if the remote server is Linux 2.4, I'm sorry.

Linux, AIX, OSF, it doesn't seem to matter. In fact, the Linux machines I've
used tend to be the snappiest of the lot.

> I've noticed
> that its scheduler isn't very nice to interactive applications over an
> ssh/X11 connection.  It seems to want to give them fewer timeslices of
> a longer duration than you'd want.  I have had a much better time with
> Solaris, or Linux 2.2.
>
> --
>            /|_     .-----------------------.
>          ,'  .\  / | No to Imperialist war |
>      ,--'    _,'   | Wage class war!       |
>    (   -.  |
>    |     ) |
>    `. )----'

Hmm, a talking cat. Isn't that a sign of the Apocalypse?

           David Abrahams * Boost Consulting
dave@boost-consulting.com * http://www.boost-consulting.com