Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?

From: Kai Großjohann
Subject: Re: psgml - support for XML namespaces and schemas?
Date: Sun, 10 Nov 2002 15:45:49 +0100

"D. D. Brierton" <darren@dzr-web.com> writes:

> Yes. For the kind of stuff I'm working on, either for current clients, or as
> future prodiucts to sell to clients, hybrid XML documents are becoming the
> norm. By that I mean documents which contain markup from more than one XML
> application; such documents depend on namespaces for validation and DTDs
> don't understand namespaces so XML schemas *have* to be used instead. Ideally,
> ones editing environment should also understand that documents can be hybrid
> and instead of looking to the DTD for populating menus for the insertion of
> elements or attributes they need to be able to understand namespaces.

I agree that you need namespaces and XML schemas.  This is only a
stopgap measure to provide half-baked "support".

If you construct a DTD which has all the elements from all the
schemas involved, complete with their prefix, then you might be able
to use that.  Of course, this means that you need to decide on a
prefix for your documents.  But at least you could get tags
completion this way.

I agree that it is painful, however, to construct a DTD for all
mixtures of schemas that you might need.  However, maybe you can get
away with making ONE DTD that contains ALL schemas that you work with.

kai