Self-documentation adjustment

From: David Forrest
Subject: Self-documentation adjustment
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 20:32:19 -0500

Is there a way to modify/advise the documentation strings in functions and
variables after they have been defined?

What I would be looking for would be something like the scenario:

C-h a mouse

;;; notice apropos-mouse-follow is not documented
;;; research it and then execute something like:

(document apropos-mouse-follow "Use the mouse to follow an apropos link.")

;;; and then have C-h a apropos-mouse-follow show the new documentation

apropos-mouse-follow          <mouse-2>
  Use the mouse to follow an apropos link.

I know I could redefine the function and edit my copy of the original
file, but I would like to be able to extend the documentation without
ham-handedly corrupting the underlying files, functions, or variables.

Thanks for your time,
Dave
--
 Dave Forrest    (434)924-3954w(111B) (804)642-0662h (804)695-2026p
 drf5n@virginia.edu             http://mug.sys.virginia.edu/~drf5n/