Re: Saving Buffer

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Saving Buffer
Date: 21 Jan 2003 16:26:11 +0000

  Kai> "CarlC" <carlc@snowbd.com> writes:
  >> The function save-buffers-kill-emacs goes through each modified
  >> buffer with a file assocation and asks "Save file
  >> /home/carl/trash?  (y, n, !, ., q, C-r or C-h)". Is this
  >> functionality available for a single (current) buffer? I cannot
  >> find a command similar to this. I just want to say kill-buffer,
  >> but ask to save if it is modified. I don't want it to kill-emacs.

  Kai> Maybe it's also enough to say C-x s (not C-x C-s)?  That goes
  Kai> through the list of open files and asks about saving each of
  Kai> them.

Only on file associated buffers.

I think what he is worried about is buffers which are not visiting a
file.

Occasionally it can be annoying when you kill emacs when you wanted to
keep something. Personally I don't think querying for all buffers is
sensible, as there are likely to be more than the OP thinks. There are
a few, like "*mail*" for instance, though where it would be
useful. Although, personally, I think that the best solution is for
"*mail*" to actually be visiting a standard temporary file, which
would solve the problem another way.

Phil