X: standard method for "switching off" left mouse button?

From: Florian von Savigny
Subject: X: standard method for "switching off" left mouse button?
Date: 29 Mar 2003 23:10:18 +0100

I thought this might be a common problem with laptops: I am using a
laptop with a touchpad (or whatever that's called) which has the
feature that tapping on it is transmitted as a left mouse button
click. Because of its position, my hands cannot stay away from the
touch pad (right between them) while touch-typing, and every few
minutes, they generate a left mouse button click which puts point in
an awkward position ... it is very annoying, especially if you
recognize it some ten keystrokes later ...

I think I'd be able to go the brute force approach of redefining the
bindings for the left mouse button to a command that does nothing, but
I wonder whether there's a more elegant way. It would be nice to have
a simple command to simply "suspend" the mouse bindings for the left
button, such that I can turn them back on when I need them.

Is there any such thing around? Can anybody give me hints apart from
that? I'd appreciate a lot.

--

Florian v. Savigny

If you are going to reply in private, please be patient, as I only
check for mail something like once a week. - Si vous allez répondre
personellement, patientez s.v.p., car je ne lis les courriels
qu'environ une fois par semaine.