Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question

From: Oliver Scholz
Subject: Re: Emacs Customization - newbie's question
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2003 13:43:38 +0200

"Daniel R. Anderson" <dan@mathjunkies.com> writes:

> I just went to the Emacs FAQ at
> http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/emacs-faq.text (Newbies take note --
> it's a good reference.)

It's also available from within Emacs with `C-h F' (`C-h C-f' in the
CVS version).

> All changes between version 19 and 21 are either superficial (regarding
> appearence) or not going to affect noobs.  That is, of course, unless
> noobs write LISP.

[I don't know what the word "noobs" means, it is not in my Webster's.]

The NEWS file (`C-h n'), which covers user-visible changes since Emacs
20.1, is a rather large file with more than 9.000 lines (more than
11.000 in the CVS version). I doubt that none of the changes
mentioned there affects new users.

However, I have never used Emacs 19 and I don't know the O'Reilly
book, so I believe your judgment that it is a good book.

But: the Emacs manual is excellent and you can have it for free with
`C-h i d m emacs RET' or you can obtain a printed copy from the FSF
from here: <URL: https://agia.fsf.org/>. The latter has the
additional benefit of supporting the FSF.

    Oliver
--
11 Germinal an 211 de la Révolution
Liberté, Egalité, Fraternité!