Re: Why do you use emacs?

From: Pascal Bourguignon
Subject: Re: Why do you use emacs?
Date: 11 May 2003 23:11:21 +0200

"Artur Hefczyc" <wislaj23@wp.pl> writes:

> Hello,
>
> I am currently working on emacs guide designed for
> Java developers but not only. I would like to put one
> section somewhere with title
> "Why to use Emacs?"
> My idea is to include there opinions from real emacs users.
>
> So my question is: Could you please send me the most
> important reason for you why you use emacs instead of
> other modern IDEs?

Perhaps the best  to understand _why_ I use emacs is  to tell _what_ I
do with it (including what features I've programmed into it):

    - of course, editing code, compiling, debugging,

    - but also composing email (and reading email),

    - composing newsgroup articles (and reading email),

      (and there already you get the advantage to have only one set of
      editing commands for various applications)

    - browsing the  web when Java and  pictures are not  needed or are
      undesirable, or when HTML filtering  is needed: I've got quite a
      HTML  filter  hook  in   w3-parse-hooks,  if  only  Mozilla  had
      something similar,  alowing you  to modify on  the fly  the HTML
      received before displaying it...

    - chatting with Kiwi (IRC),

    - managing my  bank accounts (I've  got functions to get  the data
      from the web and format it like I want for my records),

    - managing my portfolio (retrieving quotes from the web, keeping a
      database of shares, etc),

    - computing a graph of CVS releases,

    - devise conversion (euro = frf =  esp = dem = ...) with automatic
      update of the quotes from the web...

    - generating invoices,

    - encrypting / decrypting my emails and private files,

    - keeping track of the time I spend of the various projects I work
      on,

    - writting documentations and drawing ascii-art diagrams,

    - using  it's shell  mode to  cover  rustic programs  with a  nice
      readline library and other editing functions.

and in  general, Lisp programming and prototyping,  and automatic code
generation including menial tasks  such as administrative comments and
automatic time stamps.

--
__Pascal_Bourguignon__                   http://www.informatimago.com/
Do not adjust your mind, there is a fault in reality.