Re: Why do you use emacs?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Why do you use emacs?
Date: 12 May 2003 12:59:24 +0100

  Artur> Hello,

  Artur> I am currently working on emacs guide designed for Java
  Artur> developers but not only. I would like to put one section
  Artur> somewhere with title "Why to use Emacs?"  My idea is to
  Artur> include there opinions from real emacs users.

  Artur> So my question is: Could you please send me the most
  Artur> important reason for you why you use emacs instead of other
  Artur> modern IDEs?  If you send your comments with your name I will
  Artur> include your sentences as citation with it's author name

It runs on every platform that exists. It has modes for most
languages, and even when it doesn't it's such a powerful editor that
you can still do a lot with it.

If I were a "java developer" then I might not use Emacs, but one of
the IDE's out there. In particular the lack of a good debugger for
Java Emacs is a problem. But I am a research scientist. So I do use a
lot of platforms, I do use a lot of languages. Sometimes I use
languages for which no one has written an IDE yet. Indeed when I
started writing Java, this was the case.

I don't think that there is any reason to be doctrinare about this. If
Java is all you do there probably are better alternatives. But tell me
another IDE anywhere nears as functional as Emacs with JDE, which also
allows me to write and debug perl, and read my email.

Cheers

Phil