Re: Chinese characters support

From: Charles Muller
Subject: Re: Chinese characters support
Date: Tue, 13 May 2003 19:54:41 +0900 (JST)

Lee Sau Dan wrote:

> And for XML in Chinese, utf-8  wastes lots of space.  To be practical,
> we often use big5 for XML files with Chinese.

That's fine, if all you are doing is Chinese. The documents in my project
include terms from over 15 languages, including Tibetan, Nepalese, Sanskrit,
Pali, and several European languages. Unicode has codepoints for these
characters, while Big5 (and other Chinese codesets) do not.

Chuck

Charles Muller  <acmuller@gol.com>
Faculty of Humanities,  Toyo Gakuen University
Digital Dictionary of Buddhism and CJKV-English Dictionary
[http://www.acmuller.net]
H-Buddhism List Editor [http://www2.h-net.msu.edu/~buddhism/]
Mobile Phone: 090-9310-1787