Re: [newbie] emacs flyspell not understands well accented chars

From: Eli Zaretskii
Subject: Re: [newbie] emacs flyspell not understands well accented chars
Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 21:27:03 +0300

> From: Mario Giammarco <mgiammarco@nospam.supereva.it>
> Newsgroups: comp.emacs,gnu.emacs.help
> Date: Sun, 01 Jun 2003 17:28:39 GMT
>
> Now with ispell/aspell/flyspell and several debian versions of emacs21 it
> says that: PERCH is unrecognized word and suggests perche' as correction.

I suspect this is because your locale sets Emacs up to use Latin-9
encoding, while Ispell's dictionary is encoded in Latin-1.  Current
released versions of Emacs see Latin-1 and Latin-9 as different
characters, sigh...

The solution is to find and install an Italian dictionary that is
encoded in Latin-9.  Alas, I don't know if and where such a beast
exists.