Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Sat, 07 Jun 2003 03:49:33 GMT

"Eli Zaretskii" <eliz@elta.co.il> wrote in message
news:mailman.7449.1054900407.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> > From: "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to>
> > Newsgroups: gnu.emacs.help
> > Date: Fri, 06 Jun 2003 06:15:19 GMT
> >
> > The thing is, the code that I am changing is not just one style,
> > I have to match the code that I am editting.  So I would rather
> > just have very basic editting working by default.  ie I don't
> > mind have to press space 4 times after typing a "{", but I do
> > mind having to type 20 spaces after a "{".
>
> Does it help to type "M-x fundamental-mode RET" befiore editing the
> code?  Does that do what you want?

Fundamental mode unfortunately doesn't stay at the right indent
level.

e.g. If I go

aaaa
  bbb
  ccc
dddd

I expect that after hitting "enter" after typing "bbb" that I can
immediately start typing "ccc".  On older versions of emacs,
I used to have "enter" defined as "newline-and-indent" and it
was all working fine.  But on the newer versions I have been
using, that functionality has been changed.

I looked at the help in emacs and it said that it is (now?) dependent
on the mode, so I tried switching from fundamental to text mode,
which did make that work, but introduced different problems (in
inserting lines full of blanks, and in addition, ctrl-e deletes not
just the blanks, but the entire line, so I have to instead backspace
over the blanks).

And even setting the default mode to text only worked on one
of the emacs versions, the other one wouldn't accept my default.

I've still got several things to try out from this thread though,
next time I have an opportunity at work.

BFN.  Paul.