Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Tue, 17 Jun 2003 22:53:28 GMT

"Kevin Dziulko" <dziulko@klaatu.canisius.edu> wrote in message
news:mailman.8100.1055869193.21513.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org...
> First, Emacs with the tramp or ange-ftp packages, one can edit remote
> files as if they were local.  So you could use your favorite version of
> emacs all the time.

For some reason I can't ftp to my remote systems.  I've already
asked why not.  sysadmin mentioned firewall, but it was
presumably all too hard.  I can ftp from the remote system to
the local though.

> Second, Emacs and XEmacs are separate entities.  You might consider
> fixing all your problems with just one of them first.

Yes, I'm starting with emacs.  99+% of my work is done on local
machines, and emacs 20.7.1 is available on all of them.  I only
found xemacs on the remote, but I don't need to do complex stuff
there.

> Then you can do something like:

> (if (featurep 'xemacs)
>    (progn