Re: simple editor required

From: Paul Edwards
Subject: Re: simple editor required
Date: Thu, 19 Jun 2003 10:32:10 GMT

"Kai Großjohann" <kai.grossjohann@gmx.net> wrote in message
84vfv3y9ha.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de">news:84vfv3y9ha.fsf@lucy.is.informatik.uni-duisburg.de...
> "Paul Edwards" <kerravon@nosppaam.w3.to> writes:
>
> > I'm not sure that DEL sending DEL is actually wrong!  :-)
>
> For Emacs, DEL and <delete> are two very different things.  The
> The DEL key, however, is conventionally known as <backspace> and
> deletes backward.
>
> Do not be confused by the similarity in names.
>
> Do you still uphold that statement?  ;-)

I didn't get the bit after "now listen carefully Max".  :-)

Ok, it is the <delete> key I am pressing then (near <home>).
But when Emacs is reporting DEL, it doesn't mean it just
saw ascii 127, it means it saw a backspace (C-h).  Incidentally,
people are always referring to "press C-h then xxx", but of
course I have remapped C-h to be backspace, I mean, C-h is
backspace, and we all know what backspace does.  So I
duly replace C-h with Esc x help.  It seems a very surprising
key binding to me.

BFN.  Paul.