Re: Off-topic: Plain text, XML or LaTex?

From: Phillip Lord
Subject: Re: Off-topic: Plain text, XML or LaTex?
Date: 23 Jun 2003 14:49:49 +0100

  Mac> I apologize for this off-topic posting. But I really like to
  Mac> know how you fellow Emacsien feal about his.

  Mac> I like plain text, and have for a long time used outline-mode
  Mac> to write both my own private notes as well as draft
  Mac> documents. I have also for a long time been thinking about
  Mac> moving to LaTex so that I also can produce my final documents
  Mac> in Emacs as well.

  Mac> Now I have an opportunity to move to XML instead. So I would
  Mac> appreciate your thoughts about this.

Latex is easy and quicker to write than any of the XML options that I
have tried (docbook/linux doc), and produces nicer documents anyway.

XML is fairly hard to read, and to use, for doing text anyway. XML
support for Emacs is okay (through PSGML mode), but there are many XML
specs it doesn't work with (namespaces, XML schema and so on).

Latex has it's irritations as well of course, but I think its a closer
match for what you want.

Cheers

Phil