Re: Parsing Windows .lnk file in elisp

From: Barman Brakjoller
Subject: Re: Parsing Windows .lnk file in elisp
Date: 4 Jul 2003 16:11:59 -0700

> Well, I found the format, unofficial of course, reverse-engineered on
> the internet and am planning to try adding parsing of these .lnk file
> in emacs lisp.
>
> Anyway, how does one do these things in emacs? I tried to find some
> low-level functions like read and seek in the emacs lisp reference but
> I found none? Did I look to shallow into the manual or how do you do
> these kind of things in emacs, parsing binary file formats.

Thanks for the tips guys! I found out that someone already did a
simpler solution, using a small vbscript to access a COM-object that
groks .lnk files. Not as cool as having the parsing done entirely in
elisp, but it works for my needs. For more information, check out this
page at the emacswiki:
http://www.emacswiki.org/cgi-bin/wiki.pl/EshellLnkFileSupport

Maybe I'll try it anyway, just to get some training in elisp and file
parsing... :)