Re: MS Windows "Alt-Menu" support

From: Herb Martin
Subject: Re: MS Windows "Alt-Menu" support
Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2003 23:15:45 GMT

> I suggested on emacs-devel to change the behavior of Emacs as
> follows:  Pressing Alt, then hitting f, then releasing Alt, should
> behave as it does now -- it should invoke M-f aka forward-word.  But
> pressing Alt, then releasing Alt, and *then* hitting f should invoke
> the menu bar.
>
> Maybe that might make you happy?

I think it is the best compromise.
(The is the nicest newsgroup I have seen in a while -- everyone
tries to help instead of explaining why I "don't want to do this.")
Thanks folks.

Actually it is a really good solution and where I was headed on
my own -- technically that is the actual behavior in other Windows
programs.

Most people never notice this behavior since they "hold Alt" but
either way works.  So, if Emacs modifies this (on Windows at
least) then we can re-train our hands to work the same way in
all other Windows programs Alt then key

BTW, Alt then Alt should counteract -- one activates the menu,
second Alt deactivates back to the Window.