Re: auto-fill mode in java-mode

From: Alan Mackenzie
Subject: Re: auto-fill mode in java-mode
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 2003 21:16:58 +0000

Adam Hardy <emacs@cyberspaceroad.com> wrote on Mon, 13 Oct 2003 23:58:08
+0200:
> On 10/13/2003 11:10 AM Alan Mackenzie wrote:
>>>I'm trying to get my java-mode to wrap lines at 75 cols and I've not
>>>got it working.

[ .... ]

>> I'm not sure how useful the auto-filling is in lines other than
>> comment lines.

[ .... ]

> There is only one quibble that I have with the arrangement as I now
> have it, and the cc-mode help, which is great, is not telling me how or
> why it happens:

>    - when auto-fill breaks a line, it ignores my idea of what the
> indentation should be. I have to hit tab (or an electric key) for the
> indentation to sort itself out. I assume my settings are in need of
> some adjustment, but I don't know which of the following it is:

[ settings snipped ]

I don't think there's any code in CC Mode to re-indent auto-filled stuff
(apart from comments).  It's one of these things that "nobody" will ever
really need (Hah!), and nobody can be bothered to code.  The variable
c-ignore-auto-fill seems more like an emergency kludge than a fully
worked out facility.

If you think about it, auto-fill with reindentation would be complicated -
The Java code could be filled, then reindented, causing it to spill over
the right margin, requiring re-filling, then reindentation, .....  It
would probably end up looking like an Outlook-Express Usenet posting.  :-(

You could always reindent the code with C-M-\ or C-M-q or something.  But
that will ruin the 75 column limit.  :-(  There probably isn't a good
solution to this (other than to enhance CC Mode).  Sorry.

--
Alan Mackenzie (Munich, Germany)
Email: aacm@muuc.dee; to decode, wherever there is a repeated letter