Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard

From: LEE Sau Dan
Subject: Re: emacs doesn't use the X clipboard
Date: 13 Jan 2004 13:28:32 +0100

    >> Worse yet, this behaviour is quite random (to me).  Sometimes,
    >> C-y does paste from a selection (form whatever other
    >> X-clients).  Sometimes, it just pastes from the kill-ring, as
    >> if there were not selections at all.  I still haven't figured
    >> out the rules of when Emacs behaves one way and when the other.
    >> So, to me it's "random".

    Eli> Someone needs to debug this.  I don't think I've ever seen
    Eli> that on any of the machines I work on.

I'm not sure if this is platform or X-server dependent.  But I have to
add that  in the past few  years, I've been  working on XFree86/Linux.
XFree86 versions 3.6,  4.0, 4.1, 4.2.  Linux versions  2.2, 2.4.  Most
of the time, Emacs is run  on Linux (multiple Emacs processes from the
same or  different machines), but also occasionally  remote (even from
another continent) from Solaris and AIX.

    Eli> The only issue that comes to mind is that of non-ASCII
    Eli> characters in the X selection: perhaps some of the other
    Eli> applications encode selected text in a way that Emacs doesn't
    Eli> understand/support, or use some X selection type that Emacs
    Eli> didn't support (or still doesn't; you didn't say which
    Eli> version you are using).

Isn't the "ctext" sort of standard in X11R6?  I've tried many settings
with  M-x  set-clipping-coding-system,  and  never got  it  work  with
pasting Chinese (big5) from Mozilla.

--
Lee Sau Dan                     李守敦(Big5)                    ~{@nJX6X~}(HZ)

E-mail: danlee@informatik.uni-freiburg.de