Re: How to alias directories?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: How to alias directories?
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2004 15:33:45 -0400

J Krugman wrote:

> I'm doing work on files residing in two directories with long,
> non-overlapping pathnames (this is all on Linux).  It is a pain to
> type these long pathnames whenever I need to find a new file in
> one of these two directories (this happens whenever I'm visiting
> a buffer corresponding to a file in one of the two directories,
> and try to find-file a file that lives in the other directory).
>
> I could make symbolic links with short names (e.g. "A" and "B")
> pointing to these two directories, to simplify the typing, but I
> was wondering if there was a way to do this sort of "directory
> aliasing" directly within Emacs.
>
> Thanks!
>
> jill

One possibility is a macro. Record the keystrokes and assign a shortcut key
combination.

I hadn't thought of that. I should probably do it.

--Rod

Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at
http://www.rodwriterpublishing.com/index.html

To reply by e-mail, take the extra "o" out of the name.