Re: C-x TAB indent-rigidly default set to 4 columns, not to 1

From: Dale Worley
Subject: Re: C-x TAB indent-rigidly default set to 4 columns, not to 1
Date: Mon, 17 May 2004 14:59:25 GMT

nospam55 <nospa@no.yahoo.no> writes:
> seems to be behave like indent-rigidly ; the
>
>                (defun irFrequent (a b c) (interactive "P\nr")
>                   (if (not a) (setq a 4)  )
>                   (indent-rigidly b c a)
>                )
>
> seems to be almost the solution: it almost works as I hoped , the problem is
> that If I specify prefix arg 4 with C-u it fails, error message :
>
>     irFrequent: Wrong type argument: number-or-marker-p, (4)
>
> what is wrong?

The third argument to indent-rigidly must be a number.

You want something like this:

(defun irFrequent (start end arg)
  (interactive "r\nP")
   (indent-rigidly start end
                   (if arg (prefix-numeric-value arg) 4)))

It obtains the prefix argument in "raw" form.  If a prefix argument
was given by the user, arg will be non-null, and so you process it
into its numeric value and call prefix-numeric-value.  Otherwise, you
use the default 4.

I haven't checked that the value of arg when no prefix is specified is
really nil.  You can do this by writing a test function saving it in a
variable.  Or you can look at the C code that implements
'call-interactively', which IIRC explains exactly all the possible
values of the raw prefix argument.

Dale