Re: Book writing mode?

From: Michael Slass
Subject: Re: Book writing mode?
Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 15:36:35 GMT

juman@jumans.net writes:

>Is there any more then me out there who write articles, books or longer
>storys and uses Emacs? If so what mode do you use for easy editing and
>do write your text using HTML, DocBook etc or so for easy publishing?
>
>/juman

If you're going to make a habit/career of writing documents for
publication, and you like emacs for your text editing, I would
recommend that you learn to use LaTeX, a document preparation system.

LaTeX uses embedded commmands somewhat analogous to HTML tags that
tell the program about the content of your document so it can
determine appropriate formatting.

There is a wealth of information on the web about LaTeX, but I would
go buy a copy of the canonical work on the subject:
Lamport, Leslie, _LaTeX: A Document Preparation System, 2/E_.
ISBN: 0-201-52983-1

Also, there is an excellent mode for working with LaTeX documents from
within emacs, called auctex, available here:
http://www.gnu.org/software/auctex
--
Mike Slass