Re: font-locking mysteries

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: font-locking mysteries
Date: 28 Jun 2004 13:52:26 +0200

Christian Gudrian <Christian.Gudrian@gmx.de> writes:

> David Kastrup wrote:
>
> > Ugh, what?!?
>
> Well, if I say M-x mail I get an error message saying
>
> `Opening output file: no such file or directory,
> /home/Gudrian/#*mail*#1660Va0#'

That is just the autosave file.  It won't get created before the
buffer.  The buffer should appear just fine.

If not, do
M-: set-variable RET auto-save-default RET nil RET
before doing your bug report.

> Asterisks are no good in file names that are meant to be stored on
> file systems by Microsoft...  Which makes me wonder whether that would
> work on *nix systems.

Certainly.

> > You should report that, whatever it is, as a bug.
>
> Let me guess:
>
> M-x report-emacs-bug
>
> which in turn will try to open a mail buffer, right? :)

If you refuse to apply any proposed measure, you can't use the
predefined bug reporting methods to report a problem with the
predefined bug reporting methods.

I should have thought that obvious.

> > If you have a gnus session active and mail-user-agent set to
> > gnus-user-agent, then the buffer file name might be different when
> > calling mail.
>
> No, I'm sorry.  Don't bother.  I might dive into that some time
> later. But it's not worth it at the moment.  After all it's just a
> minor font-locking problem I was originally dealing with.

And it is a major bug reporting problem you are dealing with now.