Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?

From: D P Schreber
Subject: Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?
Date: 15 Dec 2004 02:54:14 GMT

On 2004-12-15, Tim McNamara <timmcn@bitstream.net> wrote:

> I've used both- I use the X11 version because it has a much smaller
> footprint

The resident size is smaller, but of course you have to be running the
X11 server, which has considerable costs of its own.  If I'm running an
X11 server anyway, I'll usually run the X11 emacs.  If I'm not, I'll run
the carbon emacs for sure. I definitely can't see running an X11 server
just to get a windowed emacs; that really doesn't make any sense to me
at all.

When I first switched from linux to osx I used X11 all the time, mainly
because I tried to replicate my linux environment.  At some point I
realized that this was a bad strategy for getting the most out of osx.
Now that I'm fully transitioned I find that I only need X11 very
occasionally, and this despite the fact that my job is all about
distributed-systems software.  As a result, I rarely use X11 emacs
anymore.

In any case, having the choice is very nice.

> - and haven't found any functional differences- except that the scroll
> wheel works under the Aqua environment but not under X11.

Scroll-wheel works ok for me in X11 emacs 21.3.50.1.