Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: X11 Mac OS X 10.3 emacs fink: only terminal?
Date: Wed, 15 Dec 2004 13:22:05 +0100

Friedrich Dominicus <just-for-news-frido@q-software-solutions.de> writes:

>> 1993
>>
>>  Please don`t use GNU newsgroups to recommend proprietary software,
>>  regardless of what it is for.  In particular, don`t send messages to
>>  this list/group praising proprietary speech programs.  It`s bad enough
>>  that some people do use them; please avoid encouraging more to do so.
>>
>> [...]
>>
>> 2003
>>
>>  A few months ago, I found out that Knoppix included some non-free
>>  software, and the developer said he didn't want to change that.
>>
>>  If he has changed his policies in the meantime, please tell me; that
>>  would be good news.  But otherwise, please do not recommend the use of
>>  Knoppix on GNU mailing lists.  Please recommend only entirely free
>>  software.
> well tolerance wasn't, isn't and won't be Stallmans thing.

If you call it self-compromising instead of tolerance, it probably
gets closer to the mark.  He is tolerant as long as he does not feel
somebody is stepping on his toes.

Anyway, if he were less like that, he'd have felt no need to start the
GNU project.  I probably could not stand a world with only Stallmans
in it (which would also go for a world with replicas of myself), but I
consider a world with one of him an improvement over a world without
him.

YMMV