Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?

From: Peter Dyballa
Subject: Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?
Date: Tue, 18 Jan 2005 17:59:33 +0100

Am 18.01.2005 um 13:16 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:

$ ./configure
$ make bootstrap
# make install

This sequence is OK, but there is much more of choices, particularly a windowing environment, i.e. making GNU Emacs a graphical application. Try this:

./configure --help

You'll get a huge list. Important is at least '--with-x'. Then you can manually choose the X tool kit, GTK or Lucid, as I recommend (Athena is very old not very attractive, Motif is not my choice, try a bit of 3D look with Xaw-3d). Since the compilation and installation went so fine, you could just try a few combinations to see which suits you best. Pay attention to the supported graphics formats, you might need them one day.

--
Greetings

  Pete

"Email is a wonderful thing for people whose role in life is to be on top of things. But not for me; my role is to be on the bottom of things. What I do takes long hours of studying and uninterruptible concentration." -Donald Knuth