Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?

From: David Combs
Subject: Re: How to download and install Emacs CVS?
Date: Sat, 29 Jan 2005 06:05:41 +0000 (UTC)

In article <mailman.13933.1106069492.27204.help-gnu-emacs@gnu.org>,
Peter Dyballa  <Peter_Dyballa@Web.DE> wrote:

>Am 18.01.2005 um 13:16 schrieb Rodolfo Medina:
>
>> $ ./configure
>> $ make bootstrap
>> # make install
>
>This sequence is OK, but there is much more of choices, particularly a
>windowing environment, i.e. making GNU Emacs a graphical application.
>Try this:
>
>./configure --help
>
>You'll get a huge list. Important is at least '--with-x'. Then you can
>manually choose the X tool kit, GTK or Lucid, as I recommend (Athena is
>very old not very attractive, Motif is not my choice, try a bit of 3D
>look with Xaw-3d). Since the compilation and installation went so fine,
>you could just try a few combinations to see which suits you best. Pay
>attention to the supported graphics formats, you might need them one
>day.

Suppose you're using Solaris' CDE as your gui; what's a
reasonable choice, given that.

(CDE suits me just fine, for what little I need from
a gui, so am not currently eager to switch to a different
gui -- if this sentence has anything to do with running
emacs at all; maybe it doesn't, all that counts being
that somewhere down there is an X11, and there is.)

Thanks,

David