Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK

From: August
Subject: Re: Compiling Emacs with GTK
Date: Thu, 24 Feb 2005 01:44:44 +0100

On tor, 2005-02-24 at 00:26 +0100, David Kastrup wrote:
> August <fusionfive@comhem.se> writes:
>
> > Can I compile Emacs so that it uses GTK style scrollbar and menubar?
> > I have tried to configure Emacs 21.3 with the `--with-x-toolkit'
> > option, but it doesn't work.
>
> It wouldn't.  You need a developer version of Emacs to compile for
> GTK.

I assume you mean Emacs CVS. As GTK has been around for quite some time
it's strange that the standard release still has no support for it. The
standard (Motif?) scrollbar looks (excuse me) so darn ugly and I think
Emacs deserves a more appealing appearance on the GNOME desktop.

How (exactly) do I download and compile the developer version of Emacs?
I have no experience with CVS.

--
August