Re: Cursor position in pixels

From: PT
Subject: Re: Cursor position in pixels
Date: Wed, 16 Mar 2005 16:15:45 +0100

On Mon, 14 Mar 2005 10:46:04 -0500, Eric Ludlam <eludlam@mathworks.com> wrote:

I'm not sure what you mean by

  "emacs support for a language and want to display suggestions for
   the user in a pop up frame."

but it could be that if you add support for semantic
(cedet.sf.net/semantic.shtml), even if you don't use the full parser
architecture, you could use the popup tooltip like support built into
that framework without having to figure out pixel positions.
Cedet/Semantic tries to provide smart completions at idle time.  If
that's what you are looking to do, it may be a little easier, plus you
would get a host of other useful features at the same time.

Here's a screenshot of what I have in mind:

        http://www.monodevelop.com/images/screenshots/macosx.jpg

So I'd like to popup a small frame listing the possible completions. As the user types more characters, the list is narrowed down to show the remaining completions. If I go up/down in the list then a short description of the highlighted item is shown immediately in a tooltip. If the user presses F1 then he's taken to the complete documentation of the item (e.g. in a browser).

I don't think Semantic provides the framework for all this, but correct me if I'm wrong.