site-lisp directory

From: Jay Cotton
Subject: site-lisp directory
Date: Fri, 1 Apr 2005 08:09:50 -0500

I am trying a newer emacs for OS X that I found here:

http://home.att.ne.jp/alpha/z123/emacs-mac-e.html

And it had a strange behavior which has prompted this message. While emacs was starting up, and loading all the packages and so forth from my .emacs file, everything went fine until the very end. At the end, the window would suddenly enlarge and the font would get bigger, and then it would finish loading. In other words, something was overriding my customizations (I purposefully have the default frame and font very small).

I poked around and found the culprit in a directory called site-start.d inside the site-lisp directory. Here's the code that was causing the problem until I commented it out:

  ;; Osaka 12
  (require 'carbon-font)
  (set-default-font "fontset-osaka12")
  (add-to-list 'default-frame-alist '(font . "fontset-osaka12"))

I've heard of the site-start file, and so it doesn't surprise me that there would be a site-start directory as well. My question is this: shouldn't the customizations that I have in my .emacs file override anything in site-lisp files or directories (not the other way around)?

Thanks for any information.
Jay