Re: Does anyone use menus?

From: address@hidden
Subject: Re: Does anyone use menus?
Date: Mon, 20 Jun 2005 13:52:46 -0400

Dmitriy wrote:

> Hello,
> what do you think of menus importance for vim? How often do the people
> use menus, or commands are enough to make one happy? Would anyone
> complain if there were no menus at all?
>
> I am developing an IDE supporting a number of external plug-in editors
> including vim. I am about to use no menus for emacs plug-in, because of
> interference with IDE's own menu system. So I wonder if it would make
> any problems for emacs users.
>
> I would appreciate any opinions/considerations on the subject
> Thanks,
> Dmitriy

I can only speak for myself, really, but my guess is that the average
accomplished Emacs user won't miss them much. I'm guessing that one
thing that Vi/Vim and Emacs users have in common is a preference for
keyboard commands, finding them much more quick, easy and natural.

I generally have the menu bar hidden, revealing it once a month when I
use the mouse to change one bookmark. If it weren't there I'd be
forced to learn the bookmarking command, which would probably be good
for me.

The menu can be handy when you need to adjust the configuration files
using the configuration menus. It's probably also a good crutch for
new users who might be overwhelmed otherwise.

I don't have much of an opinion about a Vi/Vim menu system. I've been
taking some time to learn it (them) on grounds I feel I should be
familiar with both the great editors, but Vi/Vim don't work for the
type of work I do and the way my fingers work.

I'm not sure how you're trying to amalgamate the editors from the
description but are you aware that Emacs has a Vi emulator called
Viper mode?

--Rod

--
Author of "Linux for Non-Geeks--Clear-eyed Answers for Practical Consumers"
and "Boring Stories from Uncle Rod." Both are available at

To reply take the extra "o" out of the name.